Thursday, May 1, 2008

#4 Irony

the question: Irony: Irony is a contrast between expectation and reality. What is ironic about these references to the outside world? p. 384 – Mr. Frank. I think there’s nothing the matter with our Anne that a ride on her bike or a visit with her friend Jopie de Waal wouldn’t cure. Isn’t that so, Anne? [Mr. Van Daan comes down into the room. From outside we hear faint sounds of bombers going over and a burst of ack-ack].
The irony of Mr.Frank saying that Anne could be cured by a visit from her friend or a bike ride is that the sound of bombers and shooting shows that they can't really go outside, which means Anne can't be cured by doing those things since she can't do them. The famillies are also in hiding which is why they can't go outside. It seems like Mr.Frank is just trying to make the others happy and give them hope even though they all know they can't go outside.

1 comment:

Rong Han said...

I totally agree with everything you said about Irony. Also, I think it also kind of means that Anne's sickness can't be cured because she can't go outside. However, I disagree you that Mr. Frank was saying to give them hope. Well, if I was in that position, I wouldn't be anymore hopeful than before. I think I would be more disappointed because I would remember the time going outside. I think I would also feel more fustrated that I can't go outside. Well, good job and keep it uppp!!!