Saturday, March 15, 2008

chacterization

i think that the author uses events that involve adults and hidden messages to show that the narrator is much more mature than other children his age like there is a conversation in the bookstore between the narrators teacher, father, and the bookstore owner about how there are fewer books in korean and this changes into a conversation about being patient that makes the teacher cry. the narrator doesn't quite understand all of this but he knows that it was very important and must be kept a secret without being told. This is an example of indirect characterization.

3 comments:

Aguri said...

I agree with you. Good job finding that indirect characterization. I'm guessing that a lot of his characterization is indirect, because so far, there's really only one or two direct characterizations and several indirect characterizations.

Hannah Lavender said...

I really like how you described the situation at the bookstore and how you also included a thought from the main character's (the boy's) point of view about the situation. I like how calvin made the comment about indirect characterization because that was the description that was in my head but I couldn't think of that word before I read his comment. =P well, I think you did a great job!!!

LeonJJ said...

I find myself un-arguable to that comment (that actually is not true, since i can argue with anyone about anything, but figure of speach), it is definatly true that the way the main character understands and behaives with certain knowledge tell us who he is. But I believe that we find more about the character in his actions alone, let alone the facts he know. I mean near the end of the book he's acting like a military commando! that guy is definatly mature over his age. I would say THAT tells us more about him. But than again, its our opinion that matters.